Here’s what I do for my team:
- Ensure everyone has a clear plan to reach their short term career goals.
- Support that plan with mentorship, coaching, project assignments, and training.
- Set clear, tangible goals and priorities for the team. At all times everyone should know how their work is going to get us closer to a goal they care about.
- Communicate a long term vision of the team’s role at Google. What is the big picture thing we’re trying to accomplish? For example, “Automatically detect 100% of attacks against Google.”
- Ensure that work is challenging but not too much so, interesting to the person, grows them along their career path and achieves a business goal.
- Provide frequent direct feedback on performance. I try to let everyone know about once a month how I’d rate them if I did a performance review today.
- Provide an explicit path to promotion. At Google I don’t actually control whether they get promoted, but I can lay out specific projects that I think will get them to meet the promotion bar.